Particularly, this Independence Day, July 4, 2017, offers not much to celebrate about America.
- Our natural beauty and environment is under attack by the people currently in power who pretend to love America and make her “great again” by reversing at least 30 environmental rules. “Scott Pruitt has moved to undo, delay or otherwise block more than 30 environmental rules, a regulatory rollback larger in scope than any other over so short a time in the agency’s 47-year history, according to experts in environmental law.” (NYT, July 1, 2017)
- Aren’t you celebrating Pruitt/Trump’s EPA in their rescinding the “Clean Water Rule?” (National Law Review, June 30, 2017) If you don’t know a lot about the Clean Water Act, here is a brief history. Read it quickly because our current government may likely amend the page to change the tone of the history.
- Have you seen the fascist NRA recruitment video raising their voice in a call-to-arms of civil war in America? (Washington Post, June 29, 2017)
- Land of the free? Hardly with
- Voter Suppression well underway. Laughable choice for Vice Chair of the Commission, Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach! How do you think Republicans win elections in the first place?
- 2017 Mass Incarceration: The Whole Pie
- Watch America demonstrate world leadership with the nefarious travel ban. See the all-girl Afghanistan robotics team who worked diligently to join their counterparts in a global competition in DC this month who were denied the Visas they need to travel here. (Forbes, June 29, 2017)
- All while the Commander in Chief tweets as Rome burns:
- physical violence against CNN in video edit from his former life
- repeated insults aimed at “Morning Joe” cohosts with particular offense to the female co-host in his landmark continuation of Presidential Misogyny
- did the WH commit the crime of blackmail to “Morning Joe” cohosts about an article in the National Enquirer? (Business Insider, June 30, 2017) Take 2 in The Guardian. (June 30, 2017)
If this short list of offenses over the past 2 days isn’t enough to make you feel the vibe of the Red, White, and Blue celebration day; look at one of our warships sailing 12 nautical miles into South China Sea near a disputed island in a seemingly antagonistic poke at Xi Jinping. (The Guardian, July 2, 2017)
We are veering closer to world war enflamed with a civil war here at home with this pugnacious bully ruining our reputation and bolstering the lunacy of the far right. The U.S. is morally bankrupt. He holds a 57% of American disapproval of his job performance which is more people than voted in the last election. Those of us who took the time to vote and rejected Trump as a candidate are deeply wounded. There seems to be no end in sight as the Republicans work in secret to secure their coup of our government to rollback regulation (financial, environmental, health, et al) to please their corporate sponsors.
Sorry to be so unhappy July 4th to all. There is nothing to celebrate at this time.